main Editor appointments
This page provides information on the criteria for appointing new Main Editors for IUCr Journals.
(1) Candidates should be leading scientists with good track records of publication in a variety of journals.
(2) They should ideally have at least 20 years of post-PhD experience depending on the field and journal. H index and citation rate are two useful measures but they themselves are not the only criteria. A ratio of H index to the number of post PhD years of one or more is generally considered reasonable.
(3) Candidates should have track record of success as demonstrated by, for example, a well run research group, an award, or membership of a national academy. Other measures of esteem such as keynote lectures at major conferences, invited reviews, membership of national/international scientific review panels etc. would also be taken into account.
(4) Candidates should have good time management skills and be able to devote sufficient time to help the Editor-in-chief in setting and achieving ambitious goals for the journal with editorial colleagues.
(5) Candidates should be sufficiently well networked that they are able to find referees beyond their own expertise and attract new authors to the journal from the wider scientific community.
(6) Candidates should be able to outline their vision for the journal in 500 words and their fit to the journal for its expanding scientific scope.